Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Hillbilly Move...

The Start

I realize that it is a drastic change to go from a temperate climate like Southwestern Ontario to the frigid blustery cold of Manitoba, leaving behind my friends, Daughters and Grandson and for what? A change? A chance for a fresh start in the country? Helping out Wifey's family in the prairies?

Well yeah, all of the above really! It was also kind of like something calling me to head 'Head West ol' bastard' kind of thing.

So I quit my job that I had for 10 years, sold most of our furniture and belongings, left my awesome 2400 square foot house and packed up the remainder in a Chevy pick-up truck, a U-Haul and a Chevy Aveo with roof racks and commenced with the Hillbilly move.



Day One

The trip itself was very uneventful but we did stop at a couple of places on route for a couple of images.

The first night we arrived at the Sportsmen's Motel in Wawa, Ontario around 1230am. I had to wake up the desk clerk to check in. The gentleman was a whole lot more cordial than I would have been. He checked us into two outdated but clean and comfortable rooms.
I woke up fairly early in the morning to wander around and see what kinds of shots I get and noticed the spooky Psycho style sign for the Motel. Reflecting back I was very happy to realize there were no knife wielding maniacs in my bathroom.

Sportsmans Motel in Wawa, Ontario

Day Two

We made a stop in White River, Ontario that has the distinction of being the birthplace of A.A.Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh.

Pooh-Bear

Pooh-Bear

Off we went following the Trans-Canada Highway through the Canadian Shield and the scenic shores of Lake Superior, through Thunder Bay towards our second night layover. Just before we got to our new motel I spotted a fantastic reflection of the amazing sunset bouncing from one of the numerous little lakes dotting the landscape. As luck would have it, there was a rest area on the far shore of the lake. I quickly pulled the truck in, grabbed my camera, tripod and filters and ran my fat a$$ about 700 meters back along the highway to set up and catch the glorious, fiery oranges, reds and yellows.... but no. I was about two minutes late but did manage to get some blues and purples.

ReflectionsA sunset reflects from a small Northern Ontario lake

Also because I was still out of breath from my run, I set up a long exposure of an eighteen wheeler for some blue hour light trails heading east.

Trans Canada Long ExposureLong exposure shot of truck tail lights along the Trans Canada Highway

Shortly after we arrived at the Trading Post Motel in Ignace, Ontario. What an awesome place for the money. For $85.00 taxes included we got a fantastic newly refurbished room with a 40" smart tv with Netflix and Web tv. Free long distance to anywhere in North America, Free WiFi, pet friendly and 6, count 'em SIX beds! At the front desk I was greeted by a giant Batman. Outside along the front of the Motel were a whole slew of Super Hero statues guarding us. http://www.tradingpostmotel.com/

The Trading Post Motel in Ignace, Ontario. They are the best motel, by far, that I have spent the night in... and as an added bonus, they have a bunch of superhero  statues out front :)) 807-934-2386

Day Three

Last day on the road and we blasted through to the farm with only a couple of quick stops to eat and let the dogs do their business.
We stopped just outside of Kenora, Ontario where I grabbed my artsy shot of the trip. I shot straight up into a yellow tree with a massive pine tree framing it. I converted the image into a black and white negative. I'm not sure whether I like it or not so I will torment you with it... my bad :)

Infrared trees in Northern Ontario.

The rest of it

We are now mostly settled into our tiny little house and now the fun will begin. We are going to refurbish and do a lot of rebuilding here. I have a massive loft in the barn in which I will build a small studio and a huge man cave!
This past Thursday night we had our first snowfall. The dog's and Alpaca's seemed to enjoy it....me? Not so much! But we will make the best of it.

Alpacas in snowthe Alpacas enjoying the seasons first snowfall

First SnowThe first snowfall of the year and Charlie and Winston are out playing

So, now it's just a matter of finding a job... or rather trying to decide what I want to do with myself now that I am all grown up!


Cheers everyone and Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Gary

P.S. The first anniversary of the Chrysta Rae Scavenger Hunt on G+ wrapped up for entries yesterday. I managed only 4 of 10 shots but I blame it on the move. Now I'm looking forward to November's hunt!!